Established in 1909 at Chepstow House in Manchester, Barlows became a Public Listed Company in 1920 shortly after which began a long collaboration between the Barlow and Fildes families.

Operating in Manchester, Barlows provided an export service to textile merchants who occupied the Company’s office and warehouse premises. With the decline of the textile trade in the second half of the twentieth century, and the change in exporting practices, Barlows concentrated on its property ownership, remaining a fully listed Company and in 1987 becoming designated as a specialist regional property investor and developer.

After an expansionary period in the 1990’s, in which it acquired inter alia, Rowlinson Securities Plc and Hallamshire Investments Plc, in 2001 the business was taken private by a consortium which included the Fildes and Barlow families.

Today the business is owned by the Fildes family and Barlows is well known as a regional property company with investment, development and asset management expertise. Headed by Richard and Harry Fildes, the Company operates from offices in Cheshire, a central location from which to service its specialist region.

Chepstow House, Manchester 1870

Chepstow House, Manchester 1870

Orient House, Manchester 1913
Mr Geoffrey Barlow and Mr David Fildes 1970
Chepstow House, Manchester 1870
Development
Investment
Management